pi-o-neer / ˌpīəˈnir noun
- one who is among those who first set foot in or settle a region
- one who is the first or among the first in any field of progress, enterprise, etc.
- a member of a group of engineering soldiers in the military
- an organism that successfully establishes itself in a barren or previously undisturbed area, thus creating an ecological cycle of life
- in aeronautics, capitalized, one of a series of space probes that explored the solar system and transmitted information to Earth
- to be the first to prepare a way, etc.
- to initiate or take part in the development of